Some people have a tradition of choosing a word, or a theme, to focus on or represent their new year rather than (or in addition to) traditional resolutions. It’s not something I’ve done in the past, but as the last year drew to a close there was one word that really resonated with me. A word that represents what I want to bring forth in the world, and project from myself.
What does this word mean to me?
Dance is energy, movement, joy. There is rhythm and flow. Words dancing across the page, fingers dancing across the keys. Being fit in body. Not falling stale and still. Not caring what others think. You can dance alone, or with a partner. If you dance with a partner, there must be a connection, and coordination. It doesn’t work if your steps are not aligned. Pick your partners carefully, in love and in business and in life.
How dance relates to my goals:
- Words dancing across the page, regular writing with the goal of finishing another novel.
- Poems compiled into a new chapbook, focusing on the theme of dance and music.
- Collaboration with my fellow Muselings on new projects.
- Losing weight and drinking more water, doing yoga, to be fit in body, have more energy and grace.
- Play the piano more frequently.
Do you choose a theme for the year? What are some of your goals, resolutions, or energies for 2015?